Newcastle United 3-4 Manchester City: Torres hits hat-trick for account-breaking champions
Ferran Torres scored his first Manchester City hat-trick because the champions predicament a brand contemporary English league account of 12 consecutive away wins with a pulsating 4-3 victory over Newcastle United on Friday.
City – playing their first match since a 3rd Premier League title in four seasons change into confirmed on Tuesday – fell in the again of midway by the principle half of when Emil Krafth headed previous Scott Carson, who change into making his first high-flight look since Could impartial 2011.
Pep Guardiola’s aspect powered again by quickfire goals from Joao Cancelo and Torres, despite the indisputable truth that Joelinton restored parity before the interval from the field.
Newcastle went forward over again when Joe Willock slotted home after his hold penalty change into saved by Carson, but Torres scored twice in two minutes to seal a wild employ for the champions.
FULL TIME | A trio of Torres goals takes the facets!
3-4 #ManCity | https://t.co/axa0klD5re pic.twitter.com/FtJm5wwMrb
— Manchester City (@ManCity) Could impartial 14, 2021
Despite early rigidity from City it change into the hosts who opened the scoring after 25 minutes, Krafth heading his first Premier League diagram from Jonjo Shelvey’s nook.
Shelvey then crashed a free-kick against the crossbar before two goals in 185 seconds resulted in City taking the lead.
They pulled stage in the 39th minute when Cancelo’s strike from proper internal the penalty role change into deflected previous Martin Dubravka by Jacob Murphy. Torres then added a 2nd with a unbelievable backheeled flick that looped over Dubravka from Ilkay Gundogan’s free-kick.
The Magpies pulled stage in first-half of stoppage time, though, Joelinton slamming home from the penalty field after he had been brought down internal the role by Nathan Ake.
Willock attach Steve Bruce’s aspect forward in the 62nd minute, grateful for a faucet-in on the rebound after Carson blocked his tame penalty, which change into awarded after Kyle Walker tripped the on-loan Arsenal man.
Torres drew City stage over again two minutes later, diverting home Gabriel Jesus’ low sinful from six yards.
He then grew to change into the third youngest player, at 21 years and 75 days, to achieve a Premier League hat-trick for City when he expertly volleyed into the roof of the on-line after Cancelo’s prolonged-differ strike crashed again off the put up.
What does it mean? City atomize but another account despite shaky show disguise
Guardiola’s resolution at hand Carson a shock open, and his debut for the club, told us all we wished to perceive about where his priorities lie for the relaxation of the season.
The champions devour two more Premier League games to navigate before that mouth-watering Champions League final against Chelsea on Could impartial 29.
Despite their sloppy efficiency, they've now long previous 23 away fits unbeaten in all competitions – the longest-ever such rush by a crew from England’s high four tiers.
Torres sparkles for City
Torres’ quietly impressive maiden season at City persevered with but another exquisite show disguise. His treble took him to 13 goals for the promoting and marketing campaign, with crew-mate Phil Foden (14) the entirely player primitive 21 or under to devour scored more for a Premier League club at some level of all competitions this time period.
Ake struggles on return to line-up
It change into no longer laborious to detect why Ake has been minute to proper 10 Premier League appearances this season. The used Bournemouth man change into smartly off the trip and dedicated the substandard that resulted in Joelinton’s a hit penalty at the raze of the principle half of.
Key Opta facts
– City devour won their remaining 12 away league fits, the longest ever away a hit rush by a crew in the raze four tiers of English league football since the formation of the Soccer League in 1888.
– This change into a 23rd consecutive unbeaten away match in all competitions for City (W21 D2), the longest unbeaten away rush by a aspect in the raze four tiers of English football, overtaking Notts County’s rush of 22 in 2012.
– Newcastle suffered a home high-flight defeat despite scoring three goals for the principle time since losing 4-3 to Manchester United in March 1976, whereas City won an away league match despite conceding three for the principle time since December 2012, when they won 4-3 at Norwich City.
– Torres grew to change into the youngest ever player to achieve a hat-trick for a crew managed by Guardiola, overtaking Gabriel Jesus who change into 21 years and 218 days against Shakhtar Donetsk in November 2018.
– Carson made his first Premier League look since Could impartial 2011 for West Brom, a gap of 9 years and 357 days. It is the sixth longest gap between appearances in Premier League historical previous, and the longest ever for a goalkeeper.
– Carson grew to change into the principle goalkeeper to appear in the Premier League for six diversified clubs (Leeds United, Liverpool, Charlton, Aston Villa, West Brom and City). The previous most change into five clubs represented – Shay Given and David James.
– Willock grew to change into the youngest player to achieve in five consecutive Premier League appearances (21y 267d) since Jose Antonio Reyes in September 2004 (21y 10d) and the 2nd youngest English player ever, after Michael Owen in 2001 (21y 247d).
– Since 2003-04 (when Opta started recording possession knowledge), Newcastle grew to change into the principle crew to achieve three goals despite having as small as 17.7 per cent possession in a Premier League match. City had 82.3 per cent possession, the 2nd best likely on account since the 2003-04 season, in the again of entirely their hold 83 per cent against Swansea City in April 2018.
City disappear to Brighton and Hove Albion on Tuesday, whereas Newcastle host Sheffield United a day later.